Michigan commit McCaffrey, Alabama commit Tagovailoa to play in inaugural Polynesian Bowl

The inaugural Polynesian Bowl in January is set to be the latest showcase of the country’s premier high school gridiron stars.

Among the country’s brightest high school football stars set to play in the all-star game is Valor Christian (Colo.) senior quarterback and Michigan commit Dylan McCaffrey. He joins fellow quarterbacks Tua Tagovailoa, an Alabama commit from Saint Louis School in Honolulu (Hawaii), and Alex Faniel, a Mississippi commit from Glen Allen (Va.) High School. Faniel’s mother is Samoan and lived in Hawaii as a child.

McCaffrey is the son of former NFL wide receiver Ed McCaffrey and the younger brother of Stanford junior running back Christian McCaffrey.

The inaugural all-star game, which was announced in August, will be played January 21 at Honolulu’s Aloha Stadium on the enshrinement weekend for the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame. Up to 75 percent of the 84 players in the game will be of Polynesian ancestry, with players from Hawaii, the U.S. mainland, Australia, New Zealand, Tonga and Somoa, with the other 25 percent of other ancestries.

RELATED: 10 sons of NFL players expected to star in high school football | Alabama QB commit Tua Tagovailoa closing in on Hawaii record for passing yards

Tennessee Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota and Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Ronnie Stanley will serve as team captains, while Polynesian Hall of Fame inductees Jack Thompson and Olin Kreutz will serve as honorary head coaches.

According to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser’s story from August, organizers hope to have the game reach a similar level of popularity to the Under Armour All-America Game and the US Army All-American Bowl, both held in January. (McCaffrey and Tagovailoa also will play in the Army Bowl.)

Getting McCaffrey, Tagovailoa and Faniel is a good start for the new all-star game on the block.

More News