A look at the top large high school football teams in Middle Tennessee, as ranked by the USA Today Sports network for Middle Tennessee.
Week1: High school football recap
The Tennessean’s Katie Myers and high school sports coordinator Tom Kreager recaps the first week of the Tennessee high school football season.
Centennial rallies past Franklin
Centennial football rallies past Franklin
East Nashville late score drop Rossview
Demarquez Trotter ran back a failed Rossview field goal to help the Eagles beat the Hawks 21-14 in the closing seconds Friday night to open the high school season.
Trinity tops Ensworth 14-7
Ensworth suffered a 14-7 seasom-opening defeat to nationally-ranked Trinity (Ky.) on Friday
Dickson County vs. Creek Wood
Highlights from the Dickson County vs. Creek Wood game August 19. The Red Hawks came away with a 30-26 win.
Gallatin football at Mt. Juliet
Footage and interviews from Friday’s season opener between Gallatin and Mt. Juliet.
Hewitt-Trussville 33, Montgomery Bell Academy 24
MBA lost 33-24 to Hewitt-Trussville of Alabama in the 2016 season opener.
Seaon opener – Centennial at Franklin pregame
High school football season opener between Centennial and Franklin
Pregame festivities at Ensworth School
Pregame festivities at Ensworth prior to the Tigers’ season-opening game against nationally-ranked Trinity (Ky.)
East Nashville-Rossview Pregame
East Nashville and Rossview take part in pre game warmups prior to the startif the 2016 prep football season Friday at TPS Complex
Pregame: La Vergne at Smyrna
Students for Smyrna and La Vergne prepare for the big rivalry
Dickson County vs. Creek Wood pregame
Sights and sounds from the pregame festivities leading up to Dickson County vs. Creek Wood
Springfield opens season with Greenbrier
Springfield plays Greenbrier on Friday night
Gallatin at Mt. Juliet football pregame
Pregame video prior to Friday’s game between Gallatin and Mt. Juliet.
White House student body
White House fans prep for the White House Heritage game.
Ravenwood fan Eric Mills ready for season
Ravenwood fan Eric Mills talks about the start of football season.
Baylor Bramble attends Siegel’s season opener
Siegel linebacker Dalton Frantz and Coach Greg Wyant discuss seeing Baylor Bramble at their season opener.
High school football countdown
High school sports writers for the USA Today Sports network for Middle Tennessee discuss the games they are covering Week 1.
Oakland celebrates its Week 1 win over Jackson North Side.
Large schools consist of teams from Class 4A, Class 5A, Class 6A and Division II-AA.
1. Brentwood Academy (1-0): The reigning Division II-AA champion Eagles racked up more than 450 yards of offense en route to a convincing 42-14 season-opening win over Olive Branch (Miss.). Last week: No. 1. This week: Friday at Trinity (Ky.)
2. Oakland (1-0): The JaCoby Stevens-led Patriots faced little resistance from Class 4A foe Jackson North Side on Saturday, coasting to a 45-0 victory at the Middle Tennessee Football Classic. Last week: No. 2. This week: Friday vs. Hillsboro.
3. Ensworth (0-1): Despite ultimately suffering a 14-7 defeat, the Tigers definitely turned some heads with their Week 1 effort against nationally-ranked Trinity (Ky.). Last week: No. 3. This week: Friday vs. Madison Academy (Ala.).
4. Blackman (0-0): Blackman, which reached the Class 6A quarterfinals a season ago, kicks off its season Friday at Division II-AA school McCallie in Chattanooga. Last week: NR. This week: Friday at McCallie.
5. Smyrna (1-0): Senior running back Casey Perkins tallied 216 total yards with three rushing touchdowns in the Bulldogs’ 38-20 triumph over rival La Vergne. Last week: No. 7. This week: Friday at Stewarts Creek.
6. MBA (0-1): Friday’s 33-24 setback to Hewitt-Trussville (Ala.) marked the Big Red’s first season-opening defeat since 2005. Last week: No. 5. This week: Friday vs. Pearl-Cohn.
7. Independence (1-0): Transfer running back Troy Henderson scored all three touchdowns in the defending Class 5A champion Eagles’ 21-20 win over Brentwood. Last week: No. 5. This week: Friday at Centennial.
8. Hendersonville (1-0): Junior Anthony Hughes racked up 174 yards rushing with a pair of touchdowns in the Commandos’ 31-7 season-opening win over McGavock. Last week: No. 8. This week: Friday vs. Siegel.
9. Cane Ridge (1-0): Senior quarterback D.J. Thorpe impressed in the Ravens’ 39-0 rout of crosstown rival Antioch, finished 14-of-19 through the air for 118 yards and a pair of touchdown passes. Last week: NR. This week: Thursday at Mt. Juliet.
10. Riverdale (1-0): The Warriors defense was outstanding on Saturday, limiting Ooltewah to just 104 yards and seven first downs in a dominating 47-14 victory. Last week: NR. This week: Friday vs. Franklin.