A look at the top large high school football teams in Middle Tennessee, as ranked by the USA Today Sports network for Middle Tennessee.
Large schools consist of teams from Class 4A, Class 5A, Class 6A and Division II-AA.
1. Brentwood Academy (2-1) — The Eagles ran for 285 yards and six touchdowns in Friday’s Division II-AA East/Middle Region opener against Pope John Paul II. Last week: No. 1. This week: Friday vs. A+ Academy (Texas).
2. Oakland (3-0) — The Patriots, led by LSU recruit JaCoby Stevens, have outscored their first three opponents by a combined 135-20 en route to the program’s first 3-0 start since 2013. Last week: No. 2. This week: Bye.
3. Smyrna (3-0) — MTSU commitment John Turner has completed 83 percent of his throws for 607 yards and eight touchdowns through the Bulldogs’ first three wins. Last week: No. 4. This week: Friday vs. Independence.
4. MBA (2-1) — Tennessee commitment Ty Chandler has racked up 489 yards and 10 rushing scores for the Big Red, including last week’s 115-yard, four-touchdown performance against Melrose. Last week: No. 5. This week: Friday vs. Hamilton.
5. Independence (3-0) — The defending Class 5A champions scored a season-high 49 points on seven first-half touchdowns in last Friday’s 49-7 triumph over Lincoln County. Last week: No. 6. This week: Friday at Smyrna.
6. Blackman (1-1) — The Blaze captured its first win of 2016 in last Friday’s ‘Backyard Brawl,’ beating rival Riverdale 17-14 in both teams’ Region 2-6A opener. Last week: No. 6. This week: Friday vs. Shades Valley (Ala.).
7. Cane Ridge (3-0) — The Ravens picked up perhaps the biggest win in program history in Friday’s Region 6-5A opener, edging Hendersonville 47-46 behind 485 yards of offense. Last week: No. 9. This week: Friday vs. McGavock.
8. Hendersonville (2-1) — Junior running back Anthony Hughes’ 250-yard, four-touchdown performance proved not enough in the Commandos’ 47-46 overtime loss at Cane Ridge. Last week: No. 7. This week: Friday at Beech.
9. Franklin (2-1) — The Rebels’ defense limited Overton to just six points while forcing three turnovers in their 28-6, Region 3-6A-opening win. Last week: No. 10. This week: Friday vs. Brentwood.
10. Ensworth (1-2) — The Tigers, off to their second 1-2 start in as many seasons, committed six turnovers in last Friday’s Division II-AA East/Middle Region-opening loss at Baylor. Last week: No. 3. This week: Friday vs. Trezevant.
- High school football scoreboard, Week 3
- Top offensive performers from Week 3
- Tom Kreager: 5 things from Week 3
- Cane Ridge proves it belongs with OT win
- Nolensville packs stadium for first varsity game
- How Middle Tennessee large school poll fared
- How Middle Tennessee small school poll fared
- Top games: Stratford’s Carter catches game winner