A look at the top small high school football teams in Middle Tennessee, as ranked by the USA Today Sports network for Middle Tennessee.
Small schools consist of teams from Class 1A, Class 2A, Class 3A and Division II-A.
1. Stratford (7-0): After escaping with a one-point win over Christ Presbyterian Academy, the toughest part of the Spartans’ schedule continues as they host a one-loss Goodpasture squad on Friday. Last week: 1. This week: Friday vs. Goodpasture.
2. Fairview (6-0): After surviving a homecoming shootout with Cheatham County, the Yellow Jackets will face three regional foes with winning records over their final four games. Last week: 3. This week: Thursday at Sycamore.
3. Waverly (5-1): The Tigers posted their most impressive win with Friday’s 58-13 thrashing of Lewis County, the fourth time this season they’ve eclipsed the 40-point mark. Last week: 4. This week: Friday at Montgomery Central.
4. Forrest (7-0) : The Rockets likely secured their second consecutive Region 4-2A championship with Friday’s 35-28 win over previously unbeaten Watertown. Last week: 8. This week: vs. East Robertson.
5. Watertown (6-1): The Purple Tigers hadn’t been in a close game this season until Friday, but couldn’t slow unbeaten Forrest’s rushing attack. Last week: 2. This week: Idle.
6. Christ Presbyterian Academy (1-5): A failed extra point against unbeaten Stratford prevented the Lions from taking the lead in Region 5-3A. Last week: 5. This week: at East Nashville.
7. Nashville Christian (5-2): The Eagles have outscored their five region opponents by a combined margin of 227-26, but they conclude the regular season against the other top three teams from 5-1A. Last week: 6. This week: Idle.
8. Wayne County (6-0): The Wildcats continue to impose their will offensively. They host winless Houston County before facing McEwen and Huntingdon, which each have just one loss. Last week: 7. This week: vs. Houston County.
9. East Nashville (3-4): The Eagles posted their second shutout in three games Friday and could get an edge in securing a home playoff game with a win over CPA this week. Last week: 10. This week: Friday vs. CPA.
10. Goodpasture (5-1): Following a week off, the Cougars begin a stretch of four consecutive tests against regional foes and put their five-game winning streak on the line against unbeaten Stratford. Last week: Not ranked. This week: at Stratford.
Reach Craig Harris at 615-259-8238 and on Twitter @CHTennessean.
MOST POPULAR STORIES