Championship Week is upon us!
The girls’ side doesn’t begin until Tuesday, but with the boys tipping off tonight, the Section 1 championships are officially underway. There’s plenty of material out today to quench your girls basketball thirst and combat your (understandable) impatience before Tuesday night. Check it out:
• Live chat: I’ll be hosting a chat here tonight at 8 p.m. to take your questions about Championship Week, abuse from picking against your team and any PG-13 comments you may have. The post for the chat will be up later.
• Column: After seeing a 108-1 score in Ohio, reading about a Nevada girls basketball rule that disciplines coaches in blowouts and seeing a couple of lopsided scores on the local scene this week, I tackled the issue in my column this week. I spoke with Section 1 coordinator Steve Young, Ossining head coach Dan Ricci and White Plains head coach Tara Flaherty about their feelings in regards to blowouts and how to deal with them.
• County Center preview: A mammoth package, this contains capsules for all 16 teams that will be at the County Center this week, and gives insight into who are my favorites to win the gold ball, possible dark horses, MVP picks, and more. You can read all about it here.
• From rivals to teammates: Byram Hills senior Ashley Polera and Fox Lane senior Emily O’Mahoney grew up together and played against each other for most of their lives. Next year, they’ll join forces at Muhlenberg.
• Ossining feels the love: The Pride were featured in a sports segment Wednesday on CBS. The piece was so well-received that CBS did an extended version for Saturday’s Sports Desk broadcast.
Other Section 1 tournament information:
• Section 1 girls basketball tournament: Complete schedule
• Zacketology 2016:Mike Zacchio’s tournament predictions (It’s been a blood bath)
• Championship Week staffing:Journal News coverage plans for each game
In case you missed it:
• Class AA, B quarterfinals scoreboard (games played Saturday, Feb. 20)
• Class A quarterfinals scoreboard (games played Friday, Feb. 19)
• Class AA, B first round scoreboard (games played Wednesday, Feb. 17)
• Class A first round scoreboard (games played Tuesday, Feb. 16)
• Class AA, A outbracket scoreboard (games played Thursday, Feb. 12)
If you have a question or concern you’d like brought to my attention, or if you just want to follow on social media, my email is firstname.lastname@example.org and you can follow me at @Zacchio_LoHud and @LoHudGirlsHoops. Hope to see you at the chat tonight!