A North Dakota high school hockey team was caught taking part in what one school official called a social media “stunt” but officials have indicated the incident was not hazing, according to WDAY.com.
The incident was videotaped at the hotel where the Fargo South-Shanley boys hockey team was staying Dec. 28-30 for game in Rochester, Minn., according to the report.
“The whole incident wasn’t videotaped, but it appeared to be one of the players trying to pass out by plugging his nose and applying pressure to his chest,” Fargo South assistant principal and Activities Director Michael Beaton told WDAY. “It was a stunt seen on social media. They wanted to try it and they videotaped it using Snapchat I believe, but I’m not positive.”
Beaton said safety concerns with the stunt — which sounds similar to “the choking game” or “the pass out game” seen online — were addressed with the full team. The team includes players from Fargo South and Fargo Shanley highs.
Beaton declined to say whether any of the players involved were disciplined.
“The incident was dealt with right away and the players were addressed about the safety concerns involved with imitating things seen on various social media websites,” he told WDAY. “They aren’t always safe and if they are posted on social media they don’t represent our team and schools in a good way.”