Parkway’s Cole Billiot and Adrianna Wilder raced to individual medalist honors, while leading the Panthers to repeat team titles on Saturday in the second annual Ark-La-Tex Border Dash at South Bossier Park.
Billiot, a junior, finished first for a second consecutive year with a 15:52 time, topping Tyler McVay of West Ouachita (16:13) and Allen England of Byrd (16:18), who won the recent Byrd cross country title.
Wilder, a junior who moved from Maryland to Bossier City over the summer, finished in 19:43 to beat Lanie Jordan (20:05) of Anderson High School (Austin, Texas) and Parkway’s Lindsey Hutcheson (20:16).
“We had 22 high school teams and 18 middle school teams with around 750 runners, so we were really excited about the growth of this event,” said Parkway coach Kent Falting, who received some good-natured ribbing Monday from The Times video showing him with a faulty starter pistol. “The weather cooperated and a lot of kids got to run, which exposes a lot of people to this sport.”
The Parkway boys had 7 of the top 12 finishers from among the 172 varsity boys’ entries. Cameron Rogers, Andrew Robinson, Tyler Kruithof, David Morgan, Brencen Delacruz and Christian Nevins were the leading Panthers. Cedar Creeks’ Gabe Poulin finished fourth, while Byrd’s Austin Mikovich was eighth.
“We are working toward the state title, which we should have a shot at,” Falting said. “We ran 50 miles during the week before the event, so we are just continuing to progress.”
The times of the top five finishers from a school count toward the team title, although the seventh and eighth place finishers from a school can displace the score of another runner.
On the girls’ side, Parkway had 6 of the top 13 finishers to score 1:45:16 and top Anderson (1:48:46) and Cedar Creek (1:54:52). In addition to Wilder and Hutcheson, Carly Hanson, Ariel McGaffey, Victoria Morris, Keely Reed and Nicole Kellogg led the Lady Panthers against the 126 entrants.
Haughton’s Emily Sharp was fourth in 20:44, while Cedar Creek’s Lauren Osafo was 11th (22:02) and Caddo Magnet’s Mia Cook was 12th (22:16).
The Anderson team, competing in the event for the first time, finished second in the team standings in both the boys’ and girls’ divisions.
“They were very pleased and said they were planning to come back next year,” Falting said. “They had about 43 runners. They chartered a bus, spent the night here and let the kids go down to the Boardwalk on Friday night.”
A number of volunteers assisted in the massive undertaking of hosting the event at the complex located off the Caplis Sligo Road in rural Bossier Parish. One of the top contributors to the effort was Warren Saucier, who mowed the massive amount of grass at the site, plus spent the day shuttling family and fans back and forth to parking areas.
Border Dash Boys 3-Mile Run
1. Cole Billiot, Parkway (15:52)
2. Tyelr McVay, West Ouchita (16:13)
3. Allen England, Byrd (16:18)
4. Gabe Poulin, Cedar Creek (16:22)
5. Cameron Rogers, Parkway (16:23)
6. Andrew Robinson, Parkway (16:24)
7. Tyler Kruithof, Parkway (16:28)
8. Austin Mikovich, Byrd (16:33)
9. Chris Ault, Austin Anderson (16:40)
10. David Morgan, Parkway (16:43)
11. Brencen Delacruz, Parkway (16:45:70)
12. Christian Nevins, Parkway (16:45.93)
13. Hunter Castaneda, West Ouchita (16:49)
14. Nathan Anderson, Choudrant (16:55)
15. Shea Donohoe, Austin Anderson (17:19)
Boys team standings: 1. Parkway; 2. Austin Anderson; 3. West Ouachita; 4. Cedar Creek; 5. Byrd; 6. Choudrant; 7 Caddo Magnet; 8. Haughton; 9. Ouachita; 10. Castor; 11. Loyola; 12. Bossier; 13. Quitman; 14. Hamburg; 15. Downsville.
Border Dash Girls Three Mile Run
1 Adrianna Wilder, Parkway (19:43)
2. Lanie Jordan, Austin Anderson (20:05)
3. Lindsey Hutcheson, Parkway (20:16)
4. Emily Sharp, Haughton (20:44)
5. Jordan Suter, Austin Anderson (21:24)
6. Carly Hanson, Parkway (21:27)
7. Marissa Perez, Neville (21:51.57)
8. Ariel McGaffey, Parkway (21:51.95)
9. Victoria Morris, Parkway (21:58)
10. Paola Huynh, Austin Anderson (22:00)
11. Lauren Osafo, Cedar Creek (22:02)
12. Mia Cook, Caddo Magnet (22:16)
13. Keely Reed, Parkway (22:17)
14. Molly Mangan, Austin Anderson (22:27)
15. Grace Loftin, Byrd (22:29)
Girls team standings: 1. Parkway; 2. Anderson; 3. Cedar Creek; 4. Loyola; 5. Haughton; 6. Castor; 7. Caddo Magnet; 8. Choudrant; 9. Byrd; 10. West Ouachita.