Steve Scott rolled in five birdies on the back nine Tuesday during local qualifying for the U.S. Open at Old Westbury Golf and Country Club, shooting a 2-under 70 to claim medalist honors. The head professional at Paramount Country Club will take momentum and local knowledge into the upcoming sectional qualifier at Canoe Brook, where the New City resident worked as an assistant.
It’s the fourth year in a row he’s advanced to golf’s longest day.
Cameron Young shot a 3-over 75, then won a 5-for-1 playoff when he eagled the first extra hole to get the last of six qualifying spots. The Scarborough resident recently finished his freshman year at Wake Forest and is heading back to compete in the NCAA tournament.
Local qualifier for 2016 U.S. Open Championship
At Old Westbury Golf & Country Club (Overlook/Woods)
1. Steve Scott, New City, N.Y. – 39-31–70
2. (a) William Wears, Durham, N.C. – 37-35–72
2. Kevin Foley, Jupiter, Fla. – 35-37–72
2. (a) Stewart Hagestad, Newport Beach, Calif. – 36-36–72
5. Joshua Rackley, Wilmington, N.C. – 36-38–74
6. (a) Cameron Young, Scarborough, N.Y. – 36-39–75*
(* won a 5-for-1 playoff)
(a) Johnson Ko, Manhasset, N.Y. – 37-38–75 (1st alternate)
(a) John Flaherty, Glastonbury, Conn. – 36-39–75 (2nd alternate)