lohud volleyball rankings
1. Panas (13-0, last week: 1) — As the season comes to a close, it’s becoming even more apparent that there is not a team in Section 1 who can stop the Panthers.
2. Pawling (12-0, last week: 2) — The Tigers moved up to No. 3 in the New York State Volleyball Coaches Association state rankings for Class C after an impressive showing at Panas’ Panther Invitational last week.
3. Ossining (14-1, last week: 4) — The Pride avenged their only loss of the season by beating Yorktown in a thrilling five-set match at home. Freshman Mychael Vernon had 52 kills in the win.
4. Yorktown (14-2, last week: 3) — The Huskers’ only losses are to Panas and now Ossining, the latter of which went the distance. No reason for a drop anything beyond the No. 4 slot.
5. Ursuline (12-2, last week: 5) — After getting swept by New Rochelle earlier this season (albeit, losing by two points in each set), the Koalas took the rematch in five sets on Wednesday.
6. Hen Hud (14-3, last week: 6) — The Sailors’ regular-season finale against Fox Lane on Monday should be a terrific precursor to the Section 1 tournament later in the week.
7. Nyack (15-1, last week: 7) — The Indians will wrap up their remarkable regular season with Albertus Magnus on Monday, but must make sure they do not take the Falcons lightly after they upset Tappan Zee last week.
8. Rye (12-4, last week: 9) — The Garnets’ league — which includes Ardsley, Eastchester, Harrison, and Pelham — will have them battle-tested for sectionals.
9. Pelham (11-4, last week: 4) — The Pelicans have been back and forth with top league opponents this year — swept Ardsley, then got swept by Ardsley; lost to Rye in five, then beat Rye in five. Ultimately, whichever team goes furthest at sectionals will come down to seeding and will to win.
10. Westlake (12-4, last week: N/R) — I mistakenly left the Wildcats off the bubble last week, despite them beating Ardsley. This is just making up for past sins. It unfortunately comes after Ardsley swept Pelham last week. The Panthers (10-6) and New Rochelle (11-5) are right in the mix for this spot.
Dropped out: New Rochelle (11-5, last week: 10)
On the bubble: Ardsley, Eastchester, North Rockland, New Rochelle, Scarsdale
Class AA — 1. Ossining, 2. Ursuline, 3. New Rochelle, 4. Scarsdale, 5. North Rockland, 6. Fox Lane, 7. Horace Greeley, 8. John Jay-East Fishkill, 9. Arlington, 10. Suffern
Class A — 1. Panas, 2. Yorktown, 3. Hen Hud, 4. Nyack, 5. Rye, 6. Pelham, 7. Eastchester, 8. Tappan Zee, 9. John Jay, 10. Harrison
Class B — 1. Westlake, 2. Ardsley, 3. Lourdes, 4. Putnam Valley, 5. Valhalla, 6. Irvington, 7. Briarcliff, 8. Nanuet, 9. Blind Brook, 10. Rye Neck
Class C — 1. Pawling, 2. Haldane, 3. Dobbs Ferry, 4. North Salem, 5. Keio